22 Apr 2012

Character Sketch - Day 8 (511 words)


Day Eight:Arrow / Kathryn Calder

(Focus Word:Aim)

A hollow metal arrow
Fell to the water
It must have come down from the past
I gave it to you
And I watched as my sandcastle
Slowly was turned into glass

It lit up like a beacon
The shine was so strong
That it took me a while to adjust
It took up my house
It split me apart
So I found a place on the grass

Fire away, I'm still hearing phantom waves
Fire away, I still have my better days
Fire away, what more can I do but say
Fire away, fire away

A shallow river by the road
Smoothed its edges and turned it to a skipping stone
And me by the shore
I noticed that day made me older than I was before
You say I'm too sad
Well I happen to like it
I happen to like you too

Fire away, I'm still hearing phantom waves
Fire away, I still have my better days
Fire away, what more can I do but say
Fire away, fire away

Fire away, I know all your tricks and your foul play
won't work on me anymore
Fire away, what more can I do but say
Fire away, fire away


I enter the hotel with butterflies fluttering in my stomach.  Hotel “Min-Y-Bryn”- the entrance reflected in neon lights. The name meant “House at the end of the mountain”. I was the originator of this name. While doing the research for the hotel, I had selected this name. I loved the juxtaposition of the hominess of this name with disasters reflected in the name of Slaughter Creek. The whole of Wales boasted of places like Slaughter Creek. Bryn y Cleifin(Hills of Wounded) , Nanyt-y-Saeson(Stream of Saxons) , Beddgelert(Grave of Gelert). This name was an attempt to neutralize the grizzliness with the beauty. Moreover, this hotel was constructed with an aim to convert it into a home for the tourist. It is built on the mountain top. Below it, a river flows. You can hear the guzzle of the river as it runs away to meet the sea.  I enter and see it fulfills every work we did for it.  Its inverted prism design captures the eye and interior smacked of royalty. Aristocrats must have had house like these. I am not being partial, just noticing the interiors with the crinkled eye.

While conceptualizing the hotel, we knew there would be a tough competition- the whole area was sprinkled with hotels at stone’s throw. The USP of the hotel our hotel was envisaged as its flawless service. I am here today to see if the whole of the system meets with requirement. I entered Mr. Wilson’s cabin.

“Hello Wilson. How are you doing?”

“Welcome Trisha! Welcome to Slaughter Creek! We welcome you to this place of dreams hoping you will turn them into reality.”

“Thank you Wilson for the welcome. You know, that is what I live for- Conceptualizing dreams into reality. Making the memories beautiful.  So how are things here? I guess structure and paints are all done.”

‘Yes, yes Trisha, they are all done as per the designs. You can see that for yourself. Add your magical touch to our PR and make this place a heaven for tourist” Wilson says laughing jovially. “But, tell me how it feels being here. I was concerned when you company took this assignment. Shifting to a place for one year is difficult. I know you are attached to India and now you are here for a year. It will be better for you if you adapt yourself to this place.”

“Don’t worry, Wilson. I will be fine. I am like a cactus- resilient, with a knack of finding water in the desert.”

“May be spikes to repel enemies, too?” Wilson asks with a twinkle in his eyes.

“That too. And aim to touch the sky. Do not worry for me. I may take some time but I will have best days here. Let the phantom waves of difficulties push me, I am ready.”

Wilson laughed heartily. “I am sure as cactus you are, you will be able to face the fires offered. Come, let me introduce to the staff. You need to know them. Then we can work on the press release you designed.”

No comments:

Post a Comment