21 Apr 2012

Character Sketch-Day 7(592 words)


Day Seven:Temptation / Tom Waits

(Focus Word: Temptation)

Rusted brandy in a diamond glass
everything is made from dreams
time is made from honey slow and sweet
only the fools know what it means

temptation, temptation, temptation
oh, temptation, temptation, I can't resist

I know that she is made of smoke
but I've lost my way
she knows that I am broke
so that I must play

temptation, temptation, temptation
oh, whoa, temptation, temptation, I can't resist

Dutch pink and Italian blue
she is waiting there for you
my will has disappeared
now my confusions oh so clear

temptation, temptation, temptation
whoa, whoa, temptation, temptation
I can't resist.


I have written to Apu to free myself from my dreams of Ishaan. But I am still barreling into the memory lane. I remember when I reached france. A shy girl who had a lot to talk about but no courage to express. My first day in the class, I saw him talking to one of his colleague. He was laughing over one of the student lying on the floor in a heap of books. The student was a chubby girl with spectacles gracing her eyes. She was smiling sheepishly but I can see from her eyes she was embarrassed. I wondered what a cad that guy must be that he could not notice her distress.

Cad or no cad, the guy was built like an angel. Bulk of muscles, zero fat, tanned skin and that killer smile- he was complete opposite of me. But I could not see the girl in distress. I went to her to pick her books.

“What are you doing?”, she whispered furiously, all her sheepishness lost.
“What is wrong? I am trying to help you.” I flinched at the anger targeted towards me.

Suddenly he was there beside me. His masculine murmured in my ear like honey “Who are you? I do not think I have ever seen you here?  There are so few Indians here. I guess I know all of them. You are new here?”

“I… am here. I mean, yes, I am new here. I am a part of student exchange program. I arrived yesterday only.” I resisted my urge to blabber.

He either did not notice my nervousness or did not show it. “Welcome to our campus. I am Ishaan. If I am correct, we are going to be in the same class- the only two Indians there. Don’t mind her. She is just angry because you thwarted her attempt of being princess in distress.”

This was how I got to know the heartthrob of the whole college. I knew he was not only delicious-looking but also a gem at heart- always ready to help others. He was one of the most wanted people on the campus.

We were in the same class. He tried to help me overcome my French obstacles in the class communication. I started understanding his dreams slowly. He was from a rich family but he had joined the University on scholarship. He wanted to prove to his arrogant family that he was not dependent on their wealth. He wanted to establish himself as a successful business. His aim was to reach the moon. He wanted to show me Paris.
I was tempted but tried a lot to maintain a distance from him. I understood he wanted be more than a friend to me. But I also knew our paths would never converge. I was in Paris for only three months. He led a life of ambitions. I did not believe in short-term relationship. Then what was the point of it? I wanted to emerge from these three months emotionally unscathed.  But he persisted.  Slowly, bit by bit, his gentleness disarmed my resistance. The wall of indifference that had been protecting my heart, crumbled. The flower of love blossomed in the desert of my heart.

In him, I found my companion and soul mate. With him I understood the meaning of love. Our relationship did not have a long life but I do not repent even a single moment of it. It is still one of my most cherished possession.
The blare of the horn broke my reverie.

No comments:

Post a Comment