17 Apr 2012

Character Sketch -Day 3 (Word Count : 768)

Day Three: Be bold.

Focus Word - Bold

Song Prompt - Bold as Love by: Jimi Hendrix

Anger, he smiles,
towering in shiny metallic purple armour
Queen Jealousy, envy waits behind him
Her fiery green gown sneers at the grassy ground

Blue are the life-giving waters taken for granted,
They quietly understand
Once happy turquoise armies lay opposite ready,
But wonder why the fight is on
But they're all bold as love, yeah, they're all bold as love
Yeah, they're all bold as love
Just ask the axis

My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war,
and ribbons of euphoria
Orange is young, full of daring,
But very unsteady for the first go round
My yellow in this case is not so mellow
In fact I'm trying to say it's frightened like me
And all these emotions of mine keep holding me from, eh,
Giving my life to a rainbow like you

But, I'm eh, yeah, I'm bold as love
Yeah, yeah
Well I'm bold, bold as love (hear me talking, girl)
I'm bold as love
Just ask the axis (he knows everything)
Yeah,
yeah,
yeah!


I remember that day as yesterday. It was a usual day at the college.  Usual toiling classes and those unfathomable case studies. I was sitting there trying to solve the assignment provided to us. I do not remember the reason, but there was strange restlessness min me. It was like the whole air was shouting with the some unsaid expectation. I had a premonition that something was going to happen. I knew it and I was nervous.

We used to have a placement in charge. She was an amazing persona, dripping confidence in every action and word. We lesser immortals need time to process the information and take time to choose but Mrs. Harrison was like a force of wind. She listened, decided and we people used to fly like autumn leaves in the wind. That day, she swished in the room with some papers in her hand. “I have good news for you marketing students. As you all know, we have signed and MoU with the University of Paris recently. You know what this means? This means”, she spoke excitedly,” that you have an opportunity to go to Student Exchange Program with this prestigious university. But due to the constraints, there will be only one person selected for the exchange.” Murmurs ran through the whole classroom.
“But, but we do not have much time for decision. You have to give me your names till tomorrow. This will be a big opportunity for you student as it will give you a good exposure.”

I sat quietly throughout the announcement. It did not concern me. This was meant for the students who can easily adjust to the people. I have never spoken an extra word in my life. Sometimes I did not understand why I selected Marketing as a field. But I had always hoped MBA will transform me like a fairy Godmother. I might be the topper but I always blended in background. Suddenly Mrs. Harrison said, “I will see your application Trisha? You are one of our gems and it will be our pleasure to help you out.” I could just nod yes to that “whirlpool” and I was blown away with it.

And that was how I applied. It would be wrong to deny that I was not nervous or excited. My heart was soaring like the wind. I knew there was going to be the competition in the interview to be conducted but I was fairly confident of my success. And that happened too-I was successful and selected for the student exchange program. I was thrumming with hopes.
This student exchange program was supposed to be my first flight to the world of my dreams.

When I informed Apu and my mom, nobody could believe that I wanted to or I would be able to survive the Paris. My shyness, my introvert nature, my dismal French- none of the attributes recommended for the student exchange program. But my love for life had made me bold. The chance to visit Paris, enjoy unhindered three months in the renowned University of Paris and above all, lure to explore the freedom and my courage-overrode every inhibition of mine.

I arrived in Paris with stars in my eyes. I had no intention of being the most popular student in the campus. I just wanted to ferret out the self-sufficient Trisha- the Trisha whose life had been upturned by the death of her father when she was twelve. I came to the student exchange program to capture the city of Paris in my memory; instead I have discovered a whole new world of emotions and sensations in its embrace.

Here, I found that I could easily overcome my shyness and speak to new people. In the city of Paris, I understood the importance of fashion. Here I glimpsed the colours swirling around me. I had always known that there was a girl chained in my heart who was everything – bold, outrageous, loving, and daring – but she was always bounded by the chains of my shyness and inhibition. Paris helped me release that rainbow of emotions of imprisoned girl. This student exchange program did not change me but it made me more outgoing version of myself. Paris helped me defeat the enemy of self-consciousness and made me a real Manager.

My thoughts of Paris cannot be complete without the mention of Ishaan who was there with me at every step. Today, I am again here in an unknown country, with unknown people to find that Trisha again – but this time, I will never lose her anytime, for anyone, I promised myself.




No comments:

Post a Comment