4 May 2012

Character Sketch-Day 20 (959 words)


Day Twenty: The final curtain. Time to say your last words.

Focus Word - Final

Song Prompt - My Way by: Frank Sinatra

And now, the end is near;
And so I face the final curtain.
My friend, I'll say it clear,
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain.

I've lived a life that's full.
I've traveled each and ev'ry highway;
But more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I've had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course;
Each careful step along the byway,
But more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew.
But through it all, when there was doubt,
I ate it up and spit it out.
I faced it all and I stood tall;
And did it my way.

I've loved, I've laughed and cried.
I've had my fill; my share of losing.
And now, as tears subside,
I find it all so amusing.

To think I did all that;
And may I say - not in a shy way,
"No, oh no not me,
I did it my way".

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught.
To say the things he truly feels;
And not the words of one who kneels.
The record shows I took the blows -
And did it my way!


I am preparing to leave my office. I had worked endlessly for two days .I was able to convince the press of our mission. They liked the concept of our hotel. I am sure now that we will grow here. There might be some stumbling blocks, the usual competition- but they are the part of every business. The hotel will be opening day after tomorrow. It will be the biggest event of the year and Slaughter Valley. There is still so much left to do. I am satisfied, though the cloud of that morning still hovers over me. But that debacle is the thing of the past. I do not look at my phone at every next instant; neither have I checked streets after every hour.

I collect my coat and leave from the office. I have requested for a taxi. As I move outside, taxi is not waiting there. But instead there is Ishaan waiting for me in a different car. I stumble in my steps on seeing him standing there as if nothing has happened. I try to look out for taxi.

“Looking for someone?” He asked approaching me. “I have ordered your taxi away. I do not think you will need it. I will drop you.”

“How dare you Ishaan? Who do you thin I am? Anytime you can promise to come, anytime you can leave without even giving any reasons. And now you expect me to allow you to drop me in your car.”

“Trish, first get in the car. Don’t create scene here. I will explain everything in the car.”

“Of course, now I am creating the scene! I am like this only- volatile,unpredicatable, violent. Creating a scene, my foot.”

He grabs me by arm and says in the low voice. :”Sit in the car Trish. It has been the longest two days of my life.”

I notice his beard-shadowed face and hollowed eyes. He looks extremely vulnerable. But I chide myself for making excuses for someone again. But still, office people are starting to stream out. I do not wish to create the scene. In the huff, I sit in the car. He sits in the car and says, “Thank you Trish. I now you are angry. I know I have hurt you but believe me I did not have any choice.”

“Ishaan it is always the same. First our studies, then circumstances and now another problems. Is there any point in our being together when we are going to be separated by every second problem?”

“My father met with an accident. He is in hospital. I wanted to call you but your phone was unreachable. I had to go there. For two days I was there trying to bring him back from the brink of death. He might not have been a good father to me, but still he is my blood relation. Even you can’t expect me to leave him at his deathbed.”

I am shocked. It never even crossed my mind that there could be something wrong with him. I had assumed he had gone for some stupid business meeting of his. I am ashamed. “I am sorry Ishaan. But still the fact remains. I cannot trust you. That is why I always assume the worst.  You ask us to be friends but we cannot be. We both know that we cannot be “Just Friends”. The feelings have not changed. Even today we are attracted to each other. And not even friendship can function without trust. I think we should separate from here. Let me be.”

“Trish just let me explain to you the past. I am sure that you will forgive the past. Those shadows will be vanished. I told you I married. I married Vanessa. You must remember her. She was Uncle Manfield’s daughter. He was the guy who has been there for me in every difficulty .When my father was not there, he was there. He was very ill. He asked me to marry Vanessa before he dies. It was his last wish. I was helpless to deny him. So, I married him. For my father it was a business arrangement. For me it was a debt repayment. For Vanessa, I never understood what it was. I could not contact you. We were not happy together. Fights were daily dosage for us. Then one day she committed suicide. I was relieved that there won’t be anymore fights. I was guilty that she died because of me. I was so torn between everything.” He says remorsefully.

I already knew first half of the story. He had told me some. Rest I have guessed. But this does not erase what I have suffered. It does not help me lose my mistrust.

“Trish you are my hope still. I know you cannot forget it all. But please give me a final chance. I have faced almost everything. You are right our feelings have not died. And neither will they die. Then why not give our feelings, ourselves another chance. Believe me. Your trust will grow again. Just do not shut yourself out from me.”

“I do not know Ishaan, I do not know. I am ashamed and embarrassed right now for assuming the worst about you. But I can’t say it will not happen again.”

“Let it happen again Trish. I will be there. My trust is sufficient for both of us for now. Yours will grow. No scars are permanent. I will heal yours.” He asks holding my hand. For many minutes, I did not reply. I jus sit there. Ishaan tries to pull back his hand because of my reluctance .I grasp his hand.
“I am very afraid Ishaan.”
“Don’t worry Trish. We will brave every storm together.”

No comments:

Post a Comment